top of page
Read-along informational texts - Shared Reading - Science and Nature
Kindergarten (K) - ELA
- Students will be able to identify the main topic of a science and nature text.
- Students will be able to retell key details of a science and nature text.
- Students will be able to answer questions about key details of a science and nature text.
- Introduction (5 minutes)
- Instruction (15 minutes)
- Guided Practice (15 minutes)
- Independent Practice (15 minutes)
- Exit Card Formative Assessment (5 minutes)
- Closure (5 minutes)
- A science and nature text appropriate for kindergarten students.
- Whiteboard and markers
CENTERS & TASK CARDS
No Centers or Task Cards Available
IEP GOAL WORKBOOKS
No Goals Available
No Worksheet Packs Available
5 AND 1 INTERVENTIONS
No Interventions Available
No Activities Available
- Display the science and nature text and ask students if they know what science and nature are.
- Explain that science is the study of the world around us, including plants, animals, and the environment. Nature is everything that is not made by humans.
- Read the science and nature text to the class, stopping occasionally to ask questions and point out key details.
- After reading the text, ask students to name the main topic of the text.
- Write the main topic on the whiteboard.
- Divide the students into small groups and provide each group with a copy of the science and nature text.
- Instruct the students to work together to retell key details of the text, using the main topic as a guide.
- Circulate around the room to provide support and guidance as needed.
- Instruct students to work independently to answer questions about key details of the science and nature text.
- Monitor students' progress and provide support as needed.
- Assign students to find a science and nature text at home and identify the main topic and key details.
- Encourage students to bring their text to share with the class during the next lesson.
- Provide each student with a whiteboard and marker.
- Instruct students to write one key detail from the science and nature text.
- Formative assessments will be conducted during the lesson to monitor students' understanding of science and nature concepts and their ability to identify the main topic and key details of a text.
- The exit ticket and progress monitoring assessments will be used to determine students' mastery of identifying and retelling key details.
- Review the main topic and key details of the science and nature text.
- Ask students to share something they learned from the text.
- Students can write their own science and nature texts and share them with the class.
- Students can research a specific science or nature topic and present their findings to the class.
- For students who struggle with reading, the text can be read aloud or a simplified version can be provided.
- For students who need extra support, visual aids or diagrams can be provided to help them understand the main topic and key details.
No Video Available
- Use visual aids and hands-on activities to engage students and enhance learning.
- Provide plenty of opportunities for guided and independent practice to reinforce understanding.
- Encourage students to ask questions and engage in discussion to deepen their understanding of the text.
- Confusing main topics with details or examples mentioned in the text.
- Difficulty identifying key details due to unfamiliar vocabulary or concepts.
- Misunderstanding the purpose and importance of retelling key details in a text.
Common Core Standard:
RI.K.2 - With prompting and support, identify the main topic and retell key details of a text.
bottom of page