top of page
Verbs - Finding action verbs
Kindergarten (K) - ELA
- Students will be able to identify the difference between a noun and a verb by selecting the verb from a word pair including one noun.
- Introduction (5 minutes) Instruction (15 minutes)
- Guided Practice (15 minutes)
- Independent Practice (15 minutes)
- Exit Card Formative Assessment (5 minutes)
- Closure (5 minutes)
- Word and picture cards (at least 20)
- Whiteboard and markers
CENTERS & TASK CARDS
No Centers or Task Cards Available
IEP GOAL WORKBOOKS
No Goals Available
No Worksheet Packs Available
5 AND 1 INTERVENTIONS
No Interventions Available
No Activities Available
- Review with students that words can be sorted into different groups based on their meaning.
- Introduce the concepts of nouns and verbs.
- Show word and picture cards to demonstrate examples of each.
- Review the word pairs on the board, which include a noun and a verb.
- Explain to students that they will be selecting the verb from each word pair.
- Go over examples of each type of word pair together.
- Divide the class into pairs.
- Provide each pair with word and picture cards and ask them to select the verb from each word pair.
- Circulate around the room to provide support and guidance as needed.
- Instruct students to work independently to select the verb from each word pair.
- Monitor students' progress and provide support as needed.
- Assign students to find and write down 5 nouns and 5 verbs from their daily life.
- Encourage students to bring their list to share with the class during the next lesson.
- Provide each student with a whiteboard and marker.
- Instruct students to write a sentence using one noun and one verb.
- Formative assessments will be conducted during the lesson to monitor students' understanding of nouns and verbs.
- The exit ticket and progress monitoring assessments will be used to determine students' mastery of selecting the verb from a word pair.
- Review the concept of nouns and verbs with students.
- Ask students to share one sentence they wrote using a noun and a verb during the lesson.
- Students can practice identifying adjectives and adverbs from word pairs.
- Students can create their own word pairs and challenge a partner to select the verb.
- For students who struggle with fine motor skills, larger word and picture cards can be used.
- For students who need extra support, a visual aid or diagram can be provided to help them understand the concept of nouns and verbs.
No Video Available
- Use clear and concise language when explaining the difference between nouns and verbs to students.
- Provide multiple examples of nouns and verbs and encourage students to identify them.
- Incorporate interactive activities such as games or group work to help reinforce the concept.
- Students may confuse adjectives with verbs and vice versa. It is important to clarify the difference between the two.
- Some students may struggle with identifying verbs that are not actions, such as "is" or "am". Be sure to provide examples of these types of verbs.
- Students may have difficulty identifying verbs when they are paired with a noun in a sentence. Encourage them to focus on the action in the sentence to determine the verb.
Common Core Standard:
L.K.1.B - Use frequently occurring nouns and verbs.
bottom of page