- Students will be able to use addition stories to solve addition problems with sums up to 10.
- Students will be able to use connecting cubes to model and solve addition problems with sums up to 10.
Addition - two digits - Adding With 10's
- 45-55 minutes
- Connecting cubes (at least 50)
- Container to hold connecting cubes
- Whiteboard and markers
- Addition worksheet pack
- Cube model worksheet
- Connecting cubes
- Commutative property
CENTERS & TASK CARDS
No Centers or Task Cards Available
IEP GOAL WORKBOOKS
No Goals Available
No Worksheet Packs Available
5 AND 1 INTERVENTIONS
No Interventions Available
No Games Available
No Activities Available
- Begin the lesson by reminding students of the concept of addition and its symbol, the plus sign (+).
- Explain to students that they will be learning how to fluently add numbers within 10 using cube models and addition sentences.
- Display the connecting cubes and explain that they will be using these to help them add.
- Demonstrate to the students how to use cube models to add numbers within 10. Start with two numbers, such as 2 and 3.
- Show how to build a tower of 2 cubes and another tower of 3 cubes.
- Then combine the two towers to create a tower of 5 cubes. Write the addition sentence 2 + 3 = 5 on the board.
- Explain to students that they can use this method to add any two numbers within 10.
- Provide additional examples and have students practice using cube models to add numbers within 10.
- Provide students with a cube model worksheet containing problems that use numbers within 10.
- Work through the problems together as a class, demonstrating how to use cube models to add and match to an addition sentence.
- Encourage students to write the addition sentences for each problem on their worksheet.
- Provide students with another worksheet to complete independently.
- Encourage students to use cube models and addition sentences to help them solve the problems.
- Circulate around the room to provide individual support and guidance as needed.
- Provide each student with a whiteboard and marker.
- Instruct students to write an addition sentence that uses cube models and matches to a cube model.
- Ask students to match cube models to an addition sentence.
- Use their responses to assess their understanding of the concepts and strategies covered in the lesson.
- Recap with the class what they learned in the lesson about fluently adding numbers within 10 using cube models and addition sentences.
- Encourage students to reflect on how they can apply these strategies in future math lessons and in everyday situations.
- Provide positive reinforcement to the class for their hard work and progress throughout the lesson.
- For students who have mastered adding numbers within 10, provide them with more challenging addition problems that involve regrouping or carrying.
- Students can practice adding three or more numbers using cube models and addition sentences.
- Students can create their own addition problems using cube models and exchange with a partner to match.
- For students who struggle with fine motor skills or have difficulty manipulating the connecting cubes provide them with larger or easier-to-grasp manipulatives.
- For students who need extra support, provide them with additional practice problems and one-on-one guidance during independent practice.
- For students who need additional reinforcement, provide them with visual aids, such as posters or anchor charts, that illustrate the use of cube models and addition sentences.
No Video Available
- Use real-life examples to help students see the practical applications of addition.
- Encourage students to work together and share their strategies for solving problems.
- Provide opportunities for students to practice adding numbers in different orders to reinforce the commutative property.
- Thinking that adding numbers always results in a larger number.
- Misunderstanding the concept of regrouping when adding larger numbers.
- Assuming that the order of the numbers being added does not matter.
Common Core Standard:
2.OA.B.2 - Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies.